On March 20th, the Boards of Directors for Central Valley Ag Cooperative and United Farmers Cooperative announced that they have unanimously approved and entered into an Agreement and Plan of Merger. This is exciting news for our membership, as this combination of two financially strong cooperatives will bring increased value to our stakeholders.
- Evolving customer needs will be met with greater resources available to deploy strategic assets when and where they are needed.
- New and innovative services plus many technology enhancements will be offered across the combined market area.
- Increased retention and recruitment of talented employees.
- Excellent fit of trade areas with no locations overlapping and complementary business philosophies to facilitate a smooth transition into one cooperative.
- Future generations will have a strong, relevant cooperative that is prepared to address new challenges and opportunities.
- Improved value creation drives increased profitability which stays in the local communities.
We understand that there may be many questions regarding the proposed merger, so we will be announcing a schedule of Informational Meetings in next month’s newsletter that will be held across the United Farmers Cooperative trade area. We will share additional merger details at these meetings and invite your participation in the discussions. Your Board of Directors plans to distribute the ballots in early June, with the voting to be completed by the end of June. For more information, you can access the Merger Information Site on the UFC website home page: http://www.ufcoop.com/.
“I attended a meeting for cooperative directors where I heard a quote from Peter F. Drucker that really stuck in my mind – “The best way to predict your future is to create it”. We need to meet the needs of our growers for tomorrow by taking proactive steps today. With the combined resources that will result from this merger, we will be able to continue investing in strategic assets and new technologies that will create value for our members. I firmly believe this merger allows our cooperative to move further towards achieving our Vision “to be a world-class cooperative that ensures the long-term success of our employees and customers.” When I look at the collective strengths of each cooperative, I get excited thinking about what we can accomplish. The additional services we will have available for our members, plus the anticipated financial benefits that should be attained, are compelling reasons to support the proposed merger.”